Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Kite Flying

On Saturday morning it was pretty windy so we decided to go across the street to the Hobo Jungle and fly kites.  (Um, I know it's weird, but there is a boxcar/park/shelter area across the street from our house.  It's called the Hobo Jungle.)

Anyway, Travis got the kites up right away and then they both proceeded to break on their inaugural flight before I could snap photos.  The girls were so sad.  So Travis gets out this "stunt kite" he has.  (I know what you're thinking....why does Travis have a stunt kite?  Answer?  I have no idea.  He hasn't flown a kite since he was a kid.  And although he knows how to fly kites, he isn't exactly stunt kite material, if you know what I mean.  (And I'm not either for the record.)

ANYWAY, back to the story.

So after many, many attempts he couldn't get the stunt kite into the air.  Perhaps not windy enough?  Who knows.  The girls were so sad.

So I went and got plastic grocery sacks and Travis tied some string to them.  And that is the story of how we turned tears into laughter.  (And exhaustion because they ran and ran and ran with those "kites!")

As usual, some photographic evidence:

The view of the boxcar from our house. 


Vi "helping" Papa get the kite ready.


Zella flying her homemade bag kite.


Z running for lift off.


Madeline taking Josie and her "kite" for a spin around the jungle.


Taking a break with Papa in the grass.


Gazing at the box car.


Sister forever!


A scene that makes my heart melt every time I see it!


The End.

0 comments: