Saturday, May 23, 2009

Yesaversary

Ten years ago today Travis and I got engaged. We hadn't been dating very long, only two months. (Although we had dated my sophomore year of college, but that was three years prior.) We just knew it was the right time for us. So after dating for two weeks Travis designed my engagement ring and started the process of having it made.

We had talked about getting married in the month of October and decided we didn't want to wait a year and a half. With October only 5 months away I knew the engagement would be any day. He had hinted that we would get engaged on our upcoming vacation to my family's fishing cabin the next week.

We were at my apartment and Travis told me his shoulder was bothering him. He asked me to get him some aspirin from his backpack. I grabbed the bottle and dumped two aspirin in my hand. I looked down and there were two aspirin and a diamond ring. I didn't realize I did this at the time, but I threw the aspirin at the floor and just stared at the ring. My back was to Travis and I just stood there for a moment confused. I thought that he was going to propose at the cabin, and I wondered why he asked me to get him aspirin if he was hiding the ring in the bottle. He came over to me, got down on one knee and proposed. It was very sweet.

When we called my dad he was very confused. He kept saying that I couldn't be engaged yet. Mostly because when Travis asked him for his blessing, he told my dad he was proposing at the cabin. I guess he surprised us both. :)

On our one year anniversary Trav coined the term "yesaversary"...the anniversary of the day I said yes. And I would do it again in a heartbeat. ;)

0 comments: